My CCRM IVF Journey

Our successful journey through IVF #2 at one of the world's top fertility clinics

Canine Crisis

Posted by auntiem10 on May 18, 2010

I am STILL waiting for the results of my Cycle Day 3 bloodwork. I confirmed last Wednesday that the shipment had been received by FLC. I know there is no rush since we won’t be cycling for months, but I would like to know the results! I sent an e-mail to the IVF inbox and am hoping to hear something today (although Tuesdays are my primary nurse’s usual day off). Maybe another nurse will send me the results.

In the meantime, we’ve been dealing with the latest health crisis of our 3-year-old Boston terrier, Lulu. We adopted her at eight weeks old and have sought the best possible treatment during several health crises: respiratory infections, a luxating patella, atopic allergies that caused hives to appear on her body and in her throat, and the latest issue: rupturing anal glands. Ew, right? We jokingly call her the Million Dollar Dog. : )

Last May, her anal glands ruptured in the middle of the night. She doesn’t scoot on her rear end to indicate a problem, so we are never aware of the problem until it swells. We rushed her to the emergency vet and then established a plan with our regular vet to express the glands bi-weekly. Our vet suggested switching her to a specialized, very high-fiber diet, and that seemed to do the trick. She has been doing very well for the past six months, until this past Sunday.

We found a huge area of swelling on her rump Sunday morning. I drove her to the emergency vet, but they didn’t offer to do much for her. Yesterday our regular vet thought it was a serious enough situation that he came in on his day off to examine her. She ended up having a minor surgery that involved anesthetizing her, lancing and flushing out the infected area, and infusing the area with a high-powered antibiotic. I picked her up in the afternoon and she slept all evening. This morning she was playing with our rat terrier (who is her BFF), so it appears that she is on the mend.

We have made the difficult decision to remove the glands once the area has healed (4-6 weeks). This surgical procedure has a reputation for being very painful, and there is a potential for nerve damage and incontinence. The specialized diet/regular gland expression was considered the last resort before surgery, so at this point we don’t really have a choice. We consulted the founder of our vet clinic when making this decision (and he performed yesterday’s surgery), and he told us that if she were his dog, he would agree to the surgery. So around July 1st, she’ll be undergoing this procedure. The founder of our clinic, who has 30 years of experience, will perform the surgery.

I just really hope we are making the right decision for her. There is really no right or wrong answer. This must be how kind of like how it feels to be a parent. If we don’t do the surgery, it is highly likely that she will continue to have these problems and need constant gland expression. If we do the surgery, we’re risking nerve damage and she will have to endure great pain while she heals. Our two dogs are our babies, and we don’t want them to be in pain. In the long run, the surgery will improve her quality of life, so I know it is the right choice. My heart will break to see her in that much pain, though.

For now, we are busy playing nurse to our little dog. We’re administering her medicine, holding warm compresses to her rear end, and trying to keep that region clean. If nothing else, I’ve been focusing a lot less on my infertility!

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Canine Crisis”

  1. Cassie said

    I’m so sorry you are having such stress with your puppy. I totally know how it feels to be so worried about a beloved pet while also dealing with all this IF crap. I think that you are making the right choice about the surgery. She is still very young, so the chances are fantastic that she will have no problems with the surgery. And it will greatly improve her quality of life in the future, as well as yours. Especially if you are going to be cycling, you really want to be able to be as stress-free by then as possible. I think it is great for you to be pro-active about this problem. It would be awful for her to have another flair up when you are right about to go for retrieval or transfer. My cat went into diabetic shock and had to be rushed to the ICU overnight a week before I left for Denver for my last transfer. Imagine if it had happened a week later, or even worse, while I was out of town and wouldn’t have even been able to save him! I hope your girl feels better soon!

    • auntiem10 said

      Thank you! You are so right–better to have this happen now than when we are preparing for Denver. I’m sorry to hear about your kitty’s diabetic shock–how scary! I feel comforted by the fact that the vet who will perform the surgery is basically the Schoolcraft of the area. : ) Hopefully she will bounce back from surgery and feel excellent for years to come!

  2. Rambler said

    Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your poor dog. What a painful procedure to have to decide to put her through. But glad that you have such a trusted professional that will take care of it! And you need her ready to be bouncing around and running the streets of Lone Tree with you. 🙂

    As for the bloodwork, you should get them this week I would think! We had our ODW on a Friday and by the next Thursday, everything had come into us.

    • auntiem10 said

      Thank you! I hate it that she will have to feel so much pain, but the veterinarian told me that they have excellent methods of controlling her pain (even things like Fentanyl patches!). As long as she is comfortable enough to rest, I will be happy. We are waffling back and forth about the doggies coming to CO with me. I will talk about that in a later post!

  3. LC1 said

    So sorry to hear about your dog. Before we had our son, our cat was like our child to us. One time he possibly needed surgery and I was so scared and didn’t know what I’d do without him if something happened. He was my baby. Pets are so special, so I totally understand. Hope you get your results soon… I understand how you are anxious to hear the results. I had my work up on Monday and can’t wait either!!

    • auntiem10 said

      Yes, our doggies are our babies. They sat on the couch with me last year during some of my darkest days, comforting me. She is totally priceless to me and I fret over her just as much as a mom frets over her child. : )

      Can’t wait to hear about your results!

  4. […] am a basketcase. She has chronic anal gland issues, and the time has come to have them removed. She needs this surgery to prevent future emergency […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: