My CCRM IVF Journey

Our successful journey through IVF #2 at one of the world's top fertility clinics

Transfer Day Recap

Posted by auntiem10 on January 17, 2011

We flew into Denver on a cold, snowy Wednesday…

Our flight was smooth, and before long the Rocky Mountains loomed in the distance…

It felt surreal to be back when we touched down at Denver Interntaional…

We picked up our rental car and made our way to the Homewood Suites, staring in awe at the snowcapped mountains along the way…

Wednesday evening, we enjoyed dinner at our “good luck restaurant,” Maggiano’s. We ate there the night of our ODWU, when we received great news about our chances for success, and we ate there the night before my egg retrieval, another day of good news. So we felt like perhaps dining there on this trip would bring us continued good luck. : )

We arrived at CCRM at about 12:45 p.m. on Thursday. First we had our blood drawn, and we encountered a mix-up. The phlebotomist didn’t realize that my hubby needed his blood drawn for communicables, so she had to add that to her schedule. She drew our blood and then seemed confused when I asked her if my blood would also be tested for estrogen and progesterone. She said she didn’t have any orders for that and asked when my transfer was scheduled. I told her we were heading right upstairs for the transfer after having our blood drawn. She then reassured me that the blood she had drawn for the communicables could also be used to test estrogen and progesterone, and not to worry about it. The phlebotomists there are absolutely fabulous, but this mix-up was just stress we didn’t need less than an hour before our transfer. Oh well, small potatoes in hindsight.

After this, we headed upstairs and met with Anna to finish signing all paperwork. This took only a few minutes, so we had time to snap a few pictures of the upstairs lobby before getting called back to our room. Here is the lobby area upstairs at CCRM that overlooks the downstairs lobby:

Here is the upstairs lobby looking in the opposite direction:

Once we were called into our surgical waiting room, I was instructed to remove all clothing from the waist down. The nurse also gave me a valium. Here’s where the magic happened once Dr. Surrey walked in…

An ultrasound technician came in shortly after I was settled in bed to check to see how full my bladder was. I had been pacing myself so I wouldn’t be ready to burst by 2:00, and the u/s tech was way early, so my bladder wasn’t full enough. She instructed me to start chugging and then told me that Dr. Surrey was on his way up. It was only 1:30–thirty minutes before our transfer was set to happen. Things started moving quickly from there, and I didn’t have time to get nervous.

Next, a nurse came in and asked me about medications that I’m currently taking. The ultrasound tech started pressing very hard against my uterus (because it is retroverted) and proclaimed my bladder full enough. Dr. Surrey arrived and told us that our 5AA embryo re-expanded 95% and our 5BA embryo re-expanded 75%. He started to get me all set up for the transfer while the embryologist wheeled in a huge incubator contraption with a large TV screen showing our magnified embryos. She had me sign a form stating that we were transferring two CCS normal embryos while my hubby worked on preserving memories. He was so amazed at the sight of our embryos on the screen, he forgot to snap a picture of the incubator itself. But he did snap several pictures of the magnified embryos on the TV screen:

The 5BA embryo (Embryo #21):

The 5AA embryo (Embryo #15):

Dr. Surrey quickly did a trial transfer and then indicated to the embryologist that he was ready. The embryologist gathered our embryos in a long pipette, and they were placed into my uterus. The u/s tech was pressing down extremely hard on my abdomen the entire time. Then the embryologist went back to the incubator and double-checked that no one was left behind. : ) I was tilted practically upside-down and left to rest for one hour. After 15 minutes, I was given the opportunity to use a bedpan for some relief, but I just held it. (I was too embarrassed.) By the end of the hour, I felt like I was going to pop, but I made it. My hubby was mean (ha ha) and kept cracking jokes toward the end so I would feel more miserable. : ) Since Dr. Surrey showed up early, we started everything at 1:40 p.m. and were finished by 1:55 p.m.

At the end of the hour, I was allowed to get up and use the restroom; however, they wanted me in a wheelchair while I was waiting for the restroom and right after I was finished. They wheeled me to our rental car, reclined the seat, and instructed me to go right back to our hotel and get into bed. I’ll find the bed rest restrictions we were given and post them here later this week. But basically, I rested in bed (on my back or side) the rest of the day Thursday and all day Friday. I was allowed to get out of bed only to use the restroom and grab a quick snack.

On Friday, my nurse called to tell me that my blood was indeed checked for my estrogen and progesterone levels, and everything looked great. My estradiol was in the 590+ range (needed to be at least 300), and my progesterone was 30+ (needed to be at least 20 because I’m injecting PIO). So even though there was initial confusion about the bloodwork, everything turned out fine.

On Saturday, I was able to get out of bed and shower. My hubby dropped me off at the airport before returning our rental car so I wouldn’t have to be jostled around on a bus. Our flight home was actually quite bumpy (while taxiing on the runway and in the air), so I wasn’t very happy about that. Oh well. We were very happy to get home, and I’ve been resting as much as possible since then. We absolutely love Denver, but of course we wish to be a family of three or four the next time we visit. Now we just wait for the verdict on Saturday!


14 Responses to “Transfer Day Recap”

  1. Jen said

    I love that you were to embarrassed to us a bed pan… I’ve used one at three out of four transfers. I have no shame in my game, I figure everyone has seen everything anyway so what’s a little bedpan action?

    Saturday can’t come soon enough! Good luck! Thinking sticky thoughts for you!

  2. Sara said

    FX to you! I’ve been following your blog, and you deserve all the happiness in the world. You’ve also created a remarkable resource for those of us who are considering CCRM… Thank you 🙂

  3. Cassie said

    Yep, that all sounds and looks very familiar! I’m sorry you weren’t able to use the bedpan – I found it to be such a huge relief. But it sounds like everything went great. I can’t wait for your results!

  4. Wishing and waiting said

    Glad that everything has gone smoothly. I am very optimistic about your test on Saturday. That’s likely when I should do my first Lupron. Funny, my husband and I also went to Maggiano’s the day before the retrieval. Praying for sticky embies for you

  5. Oh all those pictures took me right back there!
    I’m glad you documented everything and that it all went so smoothly! I think you will be celebrating very good news soon!

  6. LetThereBeSims said

    Hi – Thanks for the recap. Now I know what to look forward to in a few months or so!!! I totally agree with you – I would have a hard time doing my business in a bedpan. I am pee shy to begin with, so that arrangement would definitely not work out. Thanks for all the pics too 🙂

  7. mo said

    i am so rooting for you : )

  8. Tarah said

    Hi- I found your blog by happenstance. I just wanted to let you know that for my fresh transfer (bfn) I rested for 2 straight days, then for the fet (bfp) I only did one day of rest, I just couldn’t take it anymore. It made no difference, obviously. So a little jostling around on the plane is nothing to worry about, if it’s going to stick, it’ll stick. Good luck! Hoping you get a nice high beta!

  9. Wow… this brings back good memories. Sorry that I haven’t been commenting often but know that I have been thinking about you and your beautiful beautiful hatching embies!!

  10. LC1 said

    Thanks for sharing your transfer day details. Brings back memories for me too…such a special day.
    You so such a good job of documenting everything, your blog really is a great resource for future CCRMers! Good job! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers during this 2ww!

  11. Flygirl555 said

    Hi Em,

    Sending you wonderful thoughts! Can’t wait to read the excellent news on Saturday!

    I am in the “don’t worry” camp about the exercise. When I had my transfer in Prague, I walked around the entire day and even went to the movies. I still got a BFP.

    As the nurses told me – women get pregnant all the time and don’t even know it.

    Please give the pups belly rubs from us!

  12. LisainSK said

    That post brought back a tonne of memories!! Thanks for all the pics. My DH took a few but was too embarrassed to take anymore…such a dork he is sometimes. Anyway, hope you are doing well. Not much longer!!

  13. […] My Frozen Embryo Transfer Experience […]

  14. Anonymous said

    Thanks so much for this detailed blog!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: